R9 (Region 9) Tribal IAQ & Health Network Announcements -- January 11, 2018
Posted 1/12/2018 9:19 PM by Guy Suetopka
View the R9 (Region 9) Tribal IAQ & Health Network Announcements -- January 11, 2018
R9 Tribal IAQ & Health Network
……….…………Announcements – 1/11/18..…………..…….….
Dear Tribal IAQ & Health Network,
Please scroll all the way down to see the full announcements. Thanks to everyone who is circulating great information!
- Join the National Outreach Effort for National Radon Action Month (see attachment)
- Educational information on third hand smoke and e-cigarettes from the California Department of Public Health
- ITEP/EPA Webinar Series: Air Quality Planning for Wildland Smoke (see attachment)
- New Date for 4th Pre-application Assistance Call -- EPA EJ Collaborative Problem-Solving Grants Opportunity
- Air Sensors International Conference -- Oakland, CA, Sept 12-14, 2018
- The NIH Office of Disease Prevention (ODP) is seeking broad public input on the development of its 2019 - 2023 strategic plan. Submit a response by January 22, 2018.
- 28th National Tribal Forum on Air Quality – May 14-17 – Duluth Minnesota. Check www.nau.edu/ntfaq for updates.
The information provided in this email update and via links to non-EPA websites is for informational purposes only and is not intended to imply sanction or endorsement by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency or the U.S. Government.
To join or leave the R9 Tribal IAQ & Health Network, please e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org. You do not have to be in Region 9 to be added to the listserv – anyone can join. If you would like to share announcements with this group, send it my way too!
Region 9 FRC Tribal Committee Members are copied on this message.
Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail.
Priyanka Pathak, MPH | email@example.com | (415) 972-3576 | Air Toxics, Radiation, and Indoor Air Office
US Environmental Protection Agency, Region 9, home to 50 million people in Arizona, California, Hawai’i, Nevada, the
Pacific Islands, and 148 tribal nations.
EPA Region 9 Invites your tribe to join the National Outreach Effort (see attachment) by:
- Encouraging schools in your district to test for radon
- Encouraging families to test their homes.
Please check out the attachment!
Looking for educational information on third hand smoke and e-cigarettes?
- Here is a link to the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) page that has educational materials on thirdhand smoke as well as e-cigarettes: https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CCDPHP/DCDIC/CTCB/Pages/EducationMaterials.aspx.
- California Tobacco Control Program ran a media campaign a few years ago on e-cigarettes; here is the website that was developed as a part of the campaign: http://stillblowingsmoke.org/
Subject: Air Quality Planning for Wildland Smoke - Free Webinar Series (See attachment)
The Institute for Tribal and Environmental Professionals (ITEP) and the USEPA are co-sponsoring a webinar series entitled “Air Quality Planning for Wildland Smoke”. The series of webinars will provide attendees with an understanding of the impacts of wildland smoke on the health of communities and provide strategies to minimize exposure through series of presentations from air quality and health experts. The Webinars will occur on five afternoons beginning in January and ending in mid-March (January 18th, February 1st, February 15th, March 1st, and March 15th).
The webinars are free and open to everyone interested. We expect a high level of interest and participation in the series. If interested, please forward to your staff and any other parties you wish.
Below is a summary of the topics covered that may be of interest to you or your organization. All folks need to do to participate is register. The Webinar Agenda and Registration is attached. Hope you and/or your staff can participate! Please contact me if you have any questions.
- Comparative Toxicity of Biomass Smoke from Different Fuels and Combustion Conditions
- EPA Methods for National Wildland Fire Emission Inventories, and Resulting WLF Emission Estimates Over Tribal Lands
- Wildfire Smoke and Your Health
- Modeling Tools and Monitor Information for Smoke Impacts
- Where There’s Wildland Smoke – There Are Air Resource Advisors!
- Overview of Emerging Air Quality Monitoring Technologies and Their Data
- Reducing the Public Health Impacts of Smoke
- Getting the Word Out About Air Quality Using Facebook
- Ready, Set, Go – Information on Wildfires
- The Yurok Tribe’s Wildfire Disaster Response and Reintroduction of Prescribed Fire to Help Prevent Future Wildfires
- Preparing for the Next Wildland Fire Season
- Residential and Community Strategies to Prevent Forest Fire Smoke Exposures
- Industrial Air Scrubbers During Wildfire Conditions: A Public Health Intervention
- Protecting the Health of Pets and Livestock
Idaho Operations Office
EPA Region 10
950 W. Bannock Street
Boise, ID 83702
From: Environmental Justice EPA [mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org]
Sent: Monday, January 08, 2018 11:08 AM
To: Environmental Justice information <email@example.com>
Subject: [epa-ej] EPA EJ Collaborative Problem-Solving Grants Opportunity (Amended)
Environmental Justice Mailing List
EPA EJ Collaborative Problem-Solving Grants Opportunity (Amended)
New Date for 4th Pre-application Assistance Call
The 2018 EJ Collaborative Problem-Solving Request for Proposals (RFP) has been amended to reflect a date change for the fourth pre-application assistance call. The amended RFP reflects the following change:
New Pre-application Assistance Call date. The date of the fourth Pre-application Assistance Call has been changed from Tuesday, January 23, 2018 to Wednesday, January 24, 2018. The time of the call remains the same at 7:00 PM - 8:30 PM (ET).
This amendment supersedes all previous versions. The above mentioned changes are found accordingly:
On page 20 of the RFP, Section IV.D.
· Tuesday, December 5, 2017 from 4:00 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.
· Wednesday, December 13, 2017 (EJSCREEN Tutorial for applicants) from 3:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
· Thursday, January 11, 2018 (en Español) from 2:00 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.
· Wednesday, January 24, 2018 from 7:00 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.
· Thursday, February 1, 2018 from 4:00 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.
All other terms and conditions of the RFP remain unchanged.
Potential applicants are invited to participate in these scheduled conference calls with EPA to address questions about the EJCPS Program and this solicitation. Interested persons may access the pre-application assistance calls with the following information:
Conference Call Number: 1-866-299-3188 then dial the conference code 202-564-0152# when prompted.
Click the following link to go directly to the EJCPS program website to access the amended RFP: FY2018 EJ Collaborative Problem-Solving RFP webpage
The Air Sensors International Conference will be held in Oakland, CA
Sept 12-14, 2018!
Here is the direct link to the potential session topics:
Mark Your Calendars!
It's official! The Oakland Convention Center in California will host the first Air Sensors International Conference, this coming September 12th - 14th.
Three full days of concurrent sessions, exhibitor displays, sensor demonstrations, keynotes, round-table discussions and much more!
You don't want to miss out on interacting with attendees from over 21 countries!
If you're having trouble viewing this email, you may see it online.
Request for Public Comments: ODP Strategic Plan FY 2019 - 2023
The NIH Office of Disease Prevention (ODP) is seeking broad public input on the development of its 2019 - 2023 strategic plan. Prevention researchers in academia and industry, health care professionals, patient advocates and advocacy organizations, scientific or professional organizations, federal agencies, and other interested members of the public are encouraged to review and provide comments on:
• A set of draft strategic priorities, which will outline activities
coordinated by the ODP to assess, facilitate, and stimulate
research in disease prevention and disseminate the results
of this research to improve public health
• Other strategic priorities and scientific opportunities not
already proposed by the ODP, suggested new partnerships,
and areas that transcend disease prevention research that
the Office should consider as it develops its new plan
The mission of the ODP is to improve public health by increasing the scope, quality, dissemination, and impact of prevention research supported by the NIH. Submit a response by January 22, 2018.
The 2018 National Tribal Forum on Air Quality will be held on May 14-17 in Duluth, Minnesota!
The NTF provides environmental professionals from tribes, EPA, and other organizations an opportunity to meet and discuss current policies, regulatory initiatives, technical, and other relevant topics in air quality and climate change.
Be sure to check www.nau.edu/ntfaq for updates.