Safety Procedures When Working with Potential Repeat Violent Offenders

Author: Guy Suetopka
Created On: 04/07/2016 10:38 PM

(Posted by: Stacey Nongueskwa-Lopez)

Hello all Fellow Grantees,

I was wondering if anyone would share a policy & procedure in regards to your safety when you are meeting with a repeat violent offender or someone with a recent criminal background? Your help is appreciated!

Comments

Displaying 1 - 4 of 4 results
Created On: 04/07/2016 10:41 PM

(Posted by: Yvonne Tobey)

Our ICWA personnel make visits in pairs. Our Massachusetts DCF workers follow this practice pretty much, also.

Created On: 04/07/2016 10:48 PM

(Posted by: Dana Jackson)

If you are worried about your safety let the tribal and federal police know, they are there for a reason, I personally have a carry license, but that's just me. There are some bad boys and girls out there that you need to stay aware of, apparently you are aware of who they are. In this state a threat on your life is assault which they can be arrested for.

Created On: 04/07/2016 10:51 PM

(Posted by: Kerry Jevsevar)

Hello Stacey!

Essentially, it is our program's policy to meet all participants (not just re-entry clients) in public areas, such as other one-stops/American Job Centers, libraries, etc.  Under no circumstances are counselors to meet with clients at their homes (or other private residences) or at night.

In your particular case, areas like your reception area (high traffic, lots of visibility) may suffice.  I am interested in what other grantees procedures are, in case there are better practices out there.

Created On: 04/07/2016 10:52 PM

(Posted by: Sharon Keith)

Take another person with you or have them close by if you are the least bit afraid. Plan ahead of time to make it a peaceful meeting and easy as possible for the applicant. First off, treat them with all the respect you can, but do not act frightened or uncomfortable. Make them feel at ease, but try to have someone close by. Usually in my experience they want to find a way out of their lifestyle and if you are positive toward them they will be willing to work with whatever you can offer them.